We talk about barrel picks all the time on the show and we do 40-50 barrels selections per year with our private barrel program. But instead of hearing us talk about it, let’s hear some stories from the people that live and breathe it every day. We’re joined by Macaulay Minton of Wilderness Trail and John Wadell of Peerless Distilling. Both of these guys run the barrel select programs for each distillery. We get to know more about the programs and the dos and don’ts of going on a barrel pick.
- Catoctin Creek has been honoring that tradition of small craft rye whisky since 2009. Learn more at CatoctinCreekDistilling.com.
- Smooth Ambler builds on the traditional roots of American whiskey in West Virginia. Visit SmoothAmbler.com to learn more.
- Wilderness Trail is Sweet Mash Kentucky Straight Bourbon and Rye Whiskey distilled, aged, and bottled in Danville, Kentucky. Learn more at WildernessTrailDistillery.com.
- You can now buy Barrell Craft Spirits products online and have them shipped right to your door. Visit BarrellBourbon.com and click Buy Now.
- Spirits of French Lick is delivering the finest hand crafted Bottled in Bond bourbons. Check out SpiritsofFrenchLick.com.
- Total Wine & More is ready for summer! You’re sure to find cool prices in-store or online at TotalWine.com.
- Heaven Hill Distillery has been lifting America’s spirit since 1935. Check out educational resources and sign up for their newsletter at HeavenHillDistillery.com.
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick (@fredminnick) talks about his dental routine.
- How did you get into bourbon and working on single barrel programs?
- Is there a certain percentage you are allowed to allocate to private barrels?
- What do you like and not like about other barrel picks?
- How do remote picks work?
- Are remote picks harder than in person?
- Are there some people that are hard to please with picks?
- What gets you blacklisted?
- What are things you shouldn’t do on a pick?
- What do you think of stickers?
- What is the most positive thing that has happened for you working in a private barrel program?
- @thebourbonswami, @wildernesstraildistillery, @sir_jwadell, @kentuckypeerless
Source: Bourbon PursuitStay In Touch!