On this edition of The Fred Minnick Show, NFL defensive end Ndamukong Suh joins Fred for an interview and a few whiskeys. Suh was a No. 2 overall draft pick by the Detroit Lions who has gone on to be a five-time All-Pro, as well as Defensive Rookie of the Year in his first season, 2010. During this episode, Fred Ndamukong talk about what it’s like to win a Super Bowl, the ongoing saga with Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, Portland, Oregon, and whiskey.
- Spirits of French Lick Four Grain (7:04)
- 291 Colorado Whiskey (9:31)
- Chapin & Gore Vintage 1960s (18:49)
- Gregarious Grump Rum 12 Year (24:23)
Fred and Ndamukong talk about a wide variety of things, such as:
- First things first: What’s it like to win the Super Bowl? Ndamukong says it was nice to “get the monkey off his back” after being unsuccessful in his first attempt with the Rams. His hope is his current team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, can get back there again after the 2021 season as well.
- He says the defense executed its game plan to near perfection in the dominant win over the Kansas City Chiefs. Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes was running for his life all evening.
- They discuss Lori Locust and Maral Javadifar, female coaches in the NFL who work for the Buccaneers.
- Peyton Manning comes into the conversation. His comment on Suh was that he wanted to say only nice things so as not to make Ndamukong mad.
- Ndamukong talks about projects he’s working on in his home of Portland, Oregon. He has developed a company with a friend that, among other things, is to help facilitate affordable housing for those who need it.
- Suh’s philosophy is to empower people by giving them a sense of ownership in their community.
- He then describes the 291 Colorado Whiskey as “definitely powerful.”
- Fred jokingly compares the 1960s-era Chapin & Gore to 1960s football, when you could “poke a guy in the eye and smoke a cigarette on the sideline.”
- They talk about free agency and the off-season NFL drama. Suh follows it mostly because it’s hard not to, given how much moves and situations get talked about.
- He calls the Aaron Rodgers situation “interesting.” Like most of us, he would be interested in hearing some of the details. “It seems like it’s a little bit of a fractured relationship,” Suh says. “Get some charcuterie boards and some cheese, and have a nice sit-down with some bourbon.”
- They talk about playing a season during covid and playing on a team with Tom Brady. Suh describes what he terms “a challenge,” from constant masking, daily testing and staying focused. But he described a team in which everyone focused on doing their jobs and achieving a team goal.
- They then discuss the difficulty of having to “pivot” to change a game plan at the last minute. He, of course, is referring to the team nearly losing to the Washington Football Team and quarterback Tyler Heinecke.
- Fred tells Ndamukong the high-proof flight he prepared for the show was “the equivalent to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ defensive line.”
Ndamukong Suh on Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers: “Ton of respect for him. I think he’s been able to do a lot of successful things in his career – a quarterback I would consider for sure playing with, even though we’ve had our own feuding on the field. … We’ve lipped quite a bite. All in good fun on the football field.”
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Source: The Fred Minnick ShowStay In Touch!