Denny Potter has held multiple roles in the bourbon industry and many thought that being the Master Distiller at Heaven Hill would be the pinnacle of anyone’s career. In 2018, Denny left Heaven Hill and assumed the role of Master Distiller at Maker’s Mark which surprised many. In this episode, we talk about career growth as a Master Distiller and advice to give others aspiring for this role in the industry. And Fred tries to convince Denny to release a 12 year old Maker’s Mark.
- Catoctin Creek has been honoring that tradition of small craft rye whisky since 2009. Learn more at CatoctinCreekDistilling.com.
- Smooth Ambler builds on the traditional roots of American whiskey in West Virginia. Visit SmoothAmbler.com to learn more.
- You can now buy Barrell Craft Spirits products online and have them shipped right to your door. Visit BarrellBourbon.com and click Buy Now.
- Spirits of French Lick is delivering the finest hand crafted Bottled in Bond bourbons. Check out SpiritsofFrenchLick.com.
- Fling into spring at Total Wine & More. Always at low prices in-store or online at TotalWine.com.
- Heaven Hill Distillery has been lifting America’s spirit since 1935. Check out educational resources and sign up for their newsletter at HeavenHillDistillery.com.
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick (@fredminnick) talks about the three tier system.
- What made you decide to go to Maker’s Mark?
- Do you feel like you have an opportunity to grow or have you hit the ceiling as a Master Distiller?
- What’s it been like working with Rob Samuels?
- What do you bring to the table as a Master Distiller?
- How long should someone work in operations before becoming a Master Distiller?
- Will you ever put out a 12 year old product?
- Talk about the operations at Maker’s.
- What are the challenges of scaling while trying to keep the integrity of the brand?
- What was different when you came back to Maker’s?
- What is the difference between operating Maker’s vs. Bernheim Distillery?
The post 305 – Career Growth as a Master Distiller with Denny Potter of Maker’s Mark appeared first on BOURBON PURSUIT.
Source: Bourbon PursuitStay In Touch!