What is sourced whiskey? It can mean a lot of different things and many of us bourbon geeks feel some do it better than others. There is contract distillation and there is outright buying barrels, but it’s what you are doing with the bourbon that makes the story. We evaluate some of the most iconic brands that built their legacy off of sourcing and then look at today’s market to see who is doing something special versus simply slapping a label on a bottle.
- The University of Louisville has an online Distilled Spirits Business Certificate that focuses on the business side of the spirits industry. Learn more at uofl.me/bourbonpursuit.
- Penelope Bourbon is a new award-winning four grain bourbon from a unique blend of three bourbon mash bills. Available in select markets and online at PenelopeBourbon.com.
- Track your tasting notes and connect with other bourbon drinkers. Search for Oak Bottle App on the Apple App Store or visit https://bourbo.nz/oakbottle.
- You can now buy Barrell Craft Spirits products online and have them shipped right to your door. Visit BarrellBourbon.com and click Buy Now.
- The Thousand Oaks Barrel Co. has personalized oak barrels and at-home whiskey making kits. Get 10% off everything with code “BP2020” at 1000oaksbarrel.com.
- Minimize drink dilution without sacrificing chill power with Meltdown, the ultimate ice ball press. Learn more at MeltdownIce.com.
- The Duo Glass and Travel Decanter. Innovative products from Aged & Ore to compliment your bourbon. Visit AgedAndOre.com.
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick talks about barrel finishes.
- How do you know when something is sourced?
- How do you source whiskey?
- What brands are sourced?
- What about pricing sourced whiskey?
- What kind of influence has sourced whiskey had on the industry?
- What is more respectable, starting a brand sourced and then transitioning to your own distillate or starting with your own distillate?
- What about contract distilling?
- What are the primary places to source from?
Source: Bourbon PursuitStay In Touch!